Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Letter for 2009

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I'm late with my Christmas cards.  Happy New Year! :)  I thought long and hard about not sending an actual piece of paper with our cards, and decided to go green and direct you all here.  Besides, by reading it here and knowing our blog address, you get more pictures!  Bonus! :)  I've been trying to keep up with this family blog all year, and I think I did pretty darn well.  So feel free to browse older postings if you like, too.

We started out 2009 with a trip to Anaheim, CA in January.  I attended an annual scrapbooking convention and then we had a fun visit with the Ritzer and Finke families.  Emma loved seeing her cousins and I like to think I had a hand in convincing the Finkes to get a dog - ha!  We sure enjoyed the beautiful weather down there at that time of the year.

Emma has found her athletic passion in soccer.  She's played recreationally the past three years, but this past May she tried out for a select team.  The club placed the girls according to ability between four squads (A - D with A being highest) and Emma was placed on the B team.  Her coach is just awesome, and an ex-MLS professional player.  He has decided to develop Emma as a Defender - something I was hesitant with, mostly because she has never played there and just doesn't seem the aggressive type.  Little did we know!  Emma has taken to that position with incredible success - it has been so fun to watch our little "girl" elbow and stand her ground on an aggressive field.  I could talk soccer all day, so let's move on, shall we?  Emma is now 11 years old, just over 5' tall and a size 7 shoe! She is pre-teen all the way... very into clothing selection, jewelry and hair accompaniments, and much socializing.  She is a great student still pulling A's and one B on this last report card.  She has learned the clarinet this school year with great ease - and practices often with her Dad next to her on trumpet.  So fun to watch.

The summer had us busy with soccer tournaments, camping with the Jutillas in central Washington, me buying a cute scooter to commute in the great weather (5 minutes from home - I'm so lucky), a long weekend in Seaside, OR with friends, and a road trip to my Mom's house.  We wanted to pick up a bike rack at my Mom's and needed the truck to do it, so we brought Cooper along for 'Cooper's California Adventure'.  We posed Cooper along the way at fun landmarks, taking pictures to document our journey.  He went over the Golden Gate bridge, played in the ocean in Mendocino, stayed at a doggie bed-n-breakfast, and sat on a giant Redwood.  Super fun.  It was nice having a vehicle at my Mom's that fit everyone (curses to the Saturn), and we went through all of the keepsakes in the rafters while there.  Wow.  Serious memories.  I found old love letters (hilarious to read!), my Girl Scout sash with badges, tap shoes and a ukelele (which Emma used simultaneously to entertain us), original Barbies and so much more.  Fun stuff.

Carl went elk hunting with his bow and buddies in September, he has really enjoyed this the past few years.  He hasn't been successful yet, but really enjoys the time in the outdoors with the boys.  We have an outdoor archery right up the road and they go and shoot often, but they talk about "the trip" all year long.  Emma expressed an interest in going to their camp, so they both returned to camp for an overnight daddy/daughter hunt.  He had her all camo'd out in her own gear, too funny.  Carl's parents also visited in late September for a few days, it's been several years since they've seen the house so it was fun to show them all of the improvements we've made.  They got to see Emma play a game while here as well.

I have enjoyed the last 10 days off at home with Emma for the Christmas holiday.  We had a lot of plans and fun activities (the main reason I didn't get my cards off on time), I've already put in for the same time next year.  Yesterday we ended the year by buying a new car - yep, I'm the owner of a Volkswagen.  I have wanted one for years, just another one of those things to cross off my list, and I am in love with this car.  In fact, I think we may be driving to Portland next weekend just for a chance to take it on the open road.  We're such geeks.

As we reflect back upon the past year, the memories we've shared with so many of you, and the recent heartache of losing several members of our law enforcement family this past 6 weeks - we are thankful for each of you in our lives.

Happy new year!
Carl, Lisa & Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment